Monday, August 13, 2012

Euler Challenge Introduction


Illustration of the Euler Graph Concept from Wikipedia
This is the first in my series of posts on the programming site projecteuler.net. This site currently has a list of 391 interesting programming challenges and mathematical puzzles. The idea is to write a computer program to solve each problem in under an hour. Some of the puzzles can undoubtedly be solved in under an hour including both programming and run time. In my experience thus far, some of the problems will require creative solutions to solve in less than a day.

I plan to first solve all these problems in Python where possible because this is my favorite non-graphical programming language. I then plan to port some of my code to other languages for benchmarking purposes and just to brush up. One of the problems I have already solved needed to be ported to C just to solve in under a week... I don't expect this to be a series of general interest, but if you like python, math puzzles, or just geeky stuff in general, maybe this will be for you.

I plan to post on one problem a day, and I have a few week head start on solving the problems. I will post all my code along with benchmarks for those who are interested. All the code I write is licensed under the GPL. Here is a link if you don't know what that is. It means you can have, copy, keep, share, modify, sell, whatever, as long as you redistribute the code along with the programs and pass these rights on. Go forth and have fun with it.

I hope you enjoy my blog post series on the Euler challenges.